By becoming a member of the International Society for Equitation Science (ISES), you support the aim and mission of the Society. The more members, the greater the impact of the Society. Furthermore, all memberships include a number of personal benefits including access to the ‘Members Area’ on the website, access to the ‘Members only’ Facebook group, the ISES newsletter, reduced fees for conferences, and opportunity to apply for research funding.
The International Society for Equitation Science offers six options for membership:
- Academic membership
- Associate membership
- Practitioner membership
- Student membership
- Supporter membership
- Corporate membership
ISES Code of Member Conduct
ISES requires that applicants agree to a 'Code of Member Conduct' to become a member of the Society. Failure to comply with the Code of Member Conduct may result in termination of membership and the forfeiture of any membership fees previously paid.
- ISES is an independent body and acts to provide impartial scientific information.
- The name and/or membership of ISES must not be used to promote personal and/or organisational views and philosophies, unless directly ordered/permitted to do so by the ISES Council.
- The name and/or membership of ISES must not be used for financial and/or commercial gain, unless directly requested/permitted to do so by the ISES Council.
- Members must not act in any way likely to jeopardise the integrity of the Society or bring it into disrepute.
Summary of tax deductible status of ISES subscriptions:
In response to queries about the tax deductible status of membership subscriptions, the ISES Treasurer has researched the situation for UK members, with the expectation that a similar arrangement is likely for most countries – but members should check with their home tax office to be sure!
For self-employed people in the UK, trade or professional organisation subscriptions are tax deductible, and ISES membership subscriptions will fall into this category. Also tax deductible is training that improves work-related performance and enables people to do their job better, and this can include conference attendance costs for self-employed people and for employers footing the bill for employees to attend. But for employees who pay their own way, conference costs are not tax exempt – which means that the conference organisers have to pass on the tax costs of the conference in the conference fee.
If you have any questions, contact the ISES Treasurer: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Options for membership
Membership of the International Society for Equitation Science offers individuals and organisations the opportunity to support and be supported by like-minded people who are committed to the promotion and application of objective research and advanced practice which will ultimately improve the welfare of horses in their associations with humans.
Benefits include discounted rates at the annual ISES conference, biannual newsletters and access to the members' area on the ISES website.
All members are expected to abide by the ISES Ethical Guidelines and promote horse training according to the ISES First Principles.
- Memberships commence from time of payment, and run for the subsequent 12 months, and then automatically expire. Renewals may be made online on this website at any time.
- Note that all membership fees are payable through Paypal only.
- Only Academic members and Council members hold full voting privileges at the Annual General Meeting. This is to ensure that the ISES remains an independent scientific society.
- In the event of any inconsistency, the legislative and regulatory requirements and the constitution prevails. In accordance with these requirements, the ISES Council reserves the right to change, amend and/or update the membership categories. The constitution may be viewed on this page here.
- Membership registrations are vetted by ISES Council members, and payment for membership through this website does not constitute final acceptance of membership level. The ISES Council reserves the right to cancel or request an upgrade/change of membership at any time.