ISES requires that applicants agree to a 'Code of Conduct' to become a member of the Society. Failure to comply with the Code of Conduct may result in termination of membership and the forfeiture of any membership fees previously paid.
- ISES is an independent body and acts to provide impartial scientific information.
- The name and/or membership of the ISES must not be used to promote personal and/or organisational views and philosophies, unless directly ordered/permitted to do so by ISES Council.
- The name and/or membership of the ISES must not be used for financial and/or commercial gain, unless directly requested/permitted to do so by Council.
- Members must not act in any way likely to jeopardise the integrity of the Society or bring it into disrepute.
Summary of tax deductible status of ISES subscriptions:
In response to queries about the tax-deductible status of membership subscriptions, the ISES Treasurer has researched the situation for UK members, with the expectation that a similar arrangement is likely for most countries – but members should check with their home tax office to be sure!
For self-employed people in the UK, trade or professional organisation subscriptions are tax deductible, and ISES membership subscriptions will fall into this category. Also tax deductible is training that improves work-related performance and enables people to do their job better, and this can include conference attendance costs for self-employed people and for employers footing the bill for employees to attend. But for employees who pay their own way, conference costs are not tax exempt – which means that the conference organisers have to pass on the tax costs of the conference in the conference fee.
If you have any questions, contact the ISES treasurer: email@example.com.
Options for membership
Membership of the International Society for Equitation Science offers individuals and organisations the opportunity to support and be supported by like minded people who are committed to the promotion and application of objective research and advanced practice which will ultimately improve the welfare of horses in their associations with humans.
Benefits include discounted rates at the annual ISES Conference, biannual newsletters and access to the members section on the ISES website.
All members are expected to abide by the ISES Ethical guidelines and promote horse training according to the ISES First Principles.
The International Society for Equitation Science offers five options for membership:
- Academic membership - open to all persons holding scientific or scholarly qualifications relevant to Equitation Science
- Practitioner membership - open to persons actively engaging in the discipline of Equitation Science. This category is for a rider / coach / mentor / trainer who has satisfied the council of ISES that they actively understand and participate in the sharing of knowledge of the ISES 10 First Principles of horse training.
- Student membership - open to persons enrolled at a tertiary education institution until the degree has been awarded
- Supporter membership - open to all persons with an interest in and commitment to Equitation Science
- Corporate Membership - Corporate membership is open to charities, organizations, or companies that have an interest in the aims of the Society. Corporate membership entitles approved organisations to receive information normally distributed to members and to send two representatives to ISES meetings under the same terms as ordinary members. Such Corporate Member Representatives shall have no power to vote and may not hold any position on Council
Memberships commence from time of payment, and run for the subsequent 12 months, and then automatically expire. Renewals may be made online on this website at any time.
Note that all membership fees are payable through Paypal only.
Membership registrations are vetted by ISES Council Members, and payment for membership through this website does not constitute final acceptance of membership level. ISES Council reserves the right to cancel or request upgrade/change of membership at any time.